Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Orange-d Ankle

Yesterday was a typical Tuesday as any other. Well I decided to get me a Thai massage after reading Sue's entry especially since it's been ages since I last went for one. FYI, its the perfectly legal massage which I patronise. Anyhow it was planned that I'd head straight for futsal immediately after the massage since my muscles would have been stretched by then. The game itself was pretty exciting from the start as the attendance this week was very decent. 20 sweaty men, 10 at a time chasing a ball attempting to slam it into oblivion, goalwards - doesn't always happen the way its planned though.

Anyhow perhaps the massage loosened me a little too much as just into an hour of matchtime, in a moment of Brazillian mastery & trickery, I was tackled & inadverdently landed akwardly on my left foot, lightly spraining it. *Damn that tackler!* Anyhow being the macho man everyone else seems to be on the pitch, I soldiered on as would any other of my comrades would have. However into the 2nd hour of matchtime, I was attempting another Ronaldinho move & in a split second of indecision, I shifted my weight too slowly, resulting in a horrible sprain on the same ankle. This time round I heard 3 very obvious 'Crack, Crack, Crack!' on the way to the ground. Immediately I knew it was bad & needed to limp off the pitch. Stayed out & grimaced in pain for a full 5 mins before I could remove my boots.

Knowing this pain only one other time, I expected to be immobilized for a couple of days. True enough this morning, an inflammation the size of a CNY 'teochew kum' appeared. Placing the foot on the ground & applying pressure to it was just excruciating. Worst still is that I have a meeting opposite Twin Towers at 10.30am. Thank god I could send my engineer instead, after a round of 8am apologies to my client. So here I am, stuck at my home PC, teleworking from home. Contemplating my fate & wondering if I'll b able to make tomorrow's TC 2 Jln Alor for the famed 'Curry Fish Head' Eugene raved about to me. It pains me even more that I might miss this culinary event, so I'm determined to see a Chinese 'tit-ta' physician this evening & get myself mobile again for tomorrow.

Till then I guess I wish you all the best of luck in any sports that you might be taking up. Don't ever overdo it, as I've come to realise that age is no longer on my side. Agility is a once upon a time factor which is better reminisced than challenged. Nike's tagline 'Just Do It'? BS I say....

eGGs

PS: I'd also like to add this moment of irony that occured after I sprained my ankle. After exiting the pitch in pain & seating myself on the bench, out comes Vig teasing me abt the sprain & lightly 'tapping' my injured foot with his. To my surprise, in the next game that he entered barely 10 mins later, Vig (looking like Peter Crouch of Soton - tall dude not able to do much other than head the ball) hits the ground & limps out as well. With pain written all over his face, it seems that fate has dealt him the same cruel blow as me. Was it the left ankle as well? I believe it was. GOD works in mysterious ways.......

3 Comments:

Blogger Eugene Goh said...

moral of the story:

get an ankle guard, shin guard, knee guard, kkc guard, elbow guard (if u always elbowing people in the game, like me?), gum protector (like those wear by boxer, in case u get whacked on the face) etc...

no better than u guys, having soreful knee cap now, gotta take more fish oil @ omega-3, orang tua tak larat berexercise melampau...

2:01 PM  
Blogger kennyg said...

I don't know if it is the CNY break or it's really because of age but for the last two sessions, my knees and shins have hurt for days after the Tuesday's game... sigh... have to resort to less strenous activities...

10:17 AM  
Blogger Porcine Glory said...

basket..
Everyone sounding like some geriatric anonymous member only...

Im sure those that are still young are so because they believe they are young..
for all you aunties and uncles... happy retirement.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home